24hr Helpline:01132247804
Cohen Cramer Solicitors

Don’t be a victim this Christmas

While the prospect of drug rape is present throughout the year there is an increased risk as we approach the Christmas and New Year; there is an increase in the number of events to attend and everyone lets their guard down a little.

Drug facilitated sexual assault (DFSA) can result from the unlawful administration of a drug that is designed to reduce your capacity to resist sexual assault. It can be used to sedate to the point of blackout or to simply lower your resistance. Either way if you do not consent it is assault or rape.

Be careful and be aware and you can reduce the risks of being a victim of drug or date rape.

  • Never accept an open drink from a stranger that you have not seen be poured from either a sealed bottle or can or direct from the bar.
  • Do not leave your drinks unattended when you have a dance or pop to the loo; either take it with you or ask a trusted friend to watch it for you.
  • If you think that your drink has been spiked then go your nearest A&E and report it to both the police and the club management. Take a friend with you; do not let a stranger volunteer to take you.

Drugs used to spike drinks are colourless, odourless and tasteless, you will only know that you drink has been spiked once the drug has kicked in.

As well as DFSA it is not unknown for sexual assault or worse to result from drink spiking with more drink; a treble vodka in a bottle of lager won’t really make a difference to the taste but it can render you extremely vulnerable or worse so apply the above rules with regards to looking after your drink.

Remember that if you are too drunk to give full consent then it is technically raped so even if your drink has not been tampered with you are still at risk so best toalways drink in moderation. If you do think you have overdone it, again get a friend to make sure that you get home safe and well

If you think that you have been the victim of DFSA, drink spiking or sexually assaulted in whatever circumstances we can help you claim an award of compensation from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority.

To see what we can do to help get in touch with us now:

We’re here to help

Or Submit your details and we’ll contact you